Monday, April 21, 2014

Root, Root, Root, for the Home Team - Except Maybe in Fantasy




As a kid and for most of my adult life, I rooted for the sometimes Los Angeles but mostly Oakland Raiders.  In 1977, the 11 year old version of me had grown tired of my fellow fifth graders who paraded around school in their Dolphins or Cowboys gear (we didn’t call it gear then, nor was NFL merchandising the juggernaut it is today).  So, I made a calculated decision to root for Kenny Stabler and the Oakland Raiders in the Super Bowl against the Minnesota Vikings.  None of my peers liked the Raiders, with their silver and black uniforms and the infamous eye patched raider on the side of the helmet, so I was clearly positioned in opposition to almost anyone who cared about football at age 11. I took great pride in gloating for about a week after the Raiders decimated the Vikings 32-14, and I can still recite the entire starting lineup for that team on both offense and defense.  (I’ll spare you).

But following the loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 2002, the Raiders have failed to have a winning season and are routinely ranked as, if not the worst, one of the worst franchises in all of professional sports.  So, it was easy enough to become just a “football” fan, rooting for the Saints post-Katrina, but not really getting that worked up one way or the other.  Moving to Seattle changed that and I really do enjoy actually caring about the little stories like a Pete Carroll contract extension or what Richard Sherman has to say or who “we” are targeting in the draft.

But, most importantly, it gave me the opportunity to target some of “our” players in our Fantasy Football draft.  I proudly took Marshawn Lynch in the first round last year, was genuinely upset when Russell Wilson came off the board in the sixth round, two picks before me, as a backup, and snickered to myself as I picked up Stephen Hauschka off the waiver wire.  It’s fun to have a rooting interest in the often perverse world of fantasy football, where you throw out the window all rational sense of play calling.  “Don’t run for a TD with THAT running back. Throw it to MY receiver.” (who also happens to be on the team you don’t want to win – it’s sick).

With baseball, I’ve been a lifelong Yankees fan.  I tell the story often and to whomever will listen, much to my wife’s chagrin, that my father, who worked at the airport in Memphis when I was a kid, brought me Mickey Mantle’s autograph one night after the Mick had a layover on his way to a golf tournament or an autograph show somewhere.   

Labeled for Reuse

I think, in retrospect, that my dad probably just wanted to talk to his childhood idol and that it seemed easier to couch that brief conversation in the context of getting an autograph for a nine year old.   Either way, for the love of Mickey or to inspire his son, my dad getting me that autograph started me off in pinstripes, figuratively if not literally (again, there was that much “gear” back then).

Fast forward to 1999 and my first Fantasy Baseball auction (drafts are for sissies).  In the middle of the Yankee mini-dynasty, and I was determined to roster me some Yankees.  I remember beaming that I outbid two other guys for Mariano Rivera.  I think I paid $28 or something like that, only to realize at the end of the auction that no other closer had gone for anywhere near that price.  I’d been “punked” and bid up because it was I was a dumb rookie and it obvious I wanted Yankees on my team.  Over the years, I’ve learned to temper the impulse to fixate on any player, Yankee or otherwise and just look for value.   

With the move to Seattle, I vowed to remain a Yankee fan, but root for the Mariners whenever they were playing anyone else.  I’ve started writing a weekly column for The Oregon Sports News, so I’m starting to get familiar with the team.  But, for fantasy purposes, there are still very few viable options on the Mariners, other than Felix Hernandez and Robinson Cano, a former Yankee.  I have two Mariners’ players on my team and only one Yankee, so the season should be free of too much angst. 

Oh, wait, Felix Hernandez, who I got for a steal at $22, is scheduled to start against the Yankees on Thursday, May 1st. Maybe he’ll strike out 12, leave in a scoreless game after 8 and the Yankees can win in the 9th. The fun of Fantasy Baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment